About Me

My photo
I am a writer, chef and IT Consultant. I enjoy writing about my personal accomplishments and helping people learn new skills.

Friday 19 February 2010

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!"

I finally got paid and so I have a content smile on my face today :) I am enjoying the work I do, I have helped so many people so far and I still have a strong desire to help more people that call us up. I am learning the way of the Customer Support Jedi now and I think I can "master" it pretty soon.We had a lot of customers calling us up reporting a hoax email that they have been receiving. Luckily most of them have been following our updates and they knew what to do when confronted with a message asking to re-confirm their username and password or else their account could be terminated or something along those lines...but one unlucky guy called me up to inform me that he had sent his details out in reply to the hoax email and that he only realized after he had read our hoax email alert via our website that he had done something wrong. I advised him to remain calm and that we would be able to help him by resetting his password. I helped him out and let him go on his way. It had been an eventful evening, my last caller was the best one :) She asked me if I had patience and I smiled (although she couldn't see that over the phone) and said "Yes, I have been told that I am very patient" She then said that it was a good thing because she isn't very good with computers and she would be needing someone like me to help her out. After hmm...at least 2 hours of "being patient" I was pretty tired, it was late in the night and the other guy working night shift with me had to leave and so I was locking up. I had my supervisor leave me the keycode for the security system and so I was a little nervous at this extra responsibility that seems to have been thrown recklessly at "the new guy" hmm...I spoke to "W" for such a long time...struggling to remain professional because she was just so interesting. We started talking about other things (which usually never happens with my other calls) I really enjoyed talking to her and I thanked her for making my night (she kept me company until I finished my shift :) I was just so happy that I can help her out. There is much satisfaction from helping someone with a motive other than money.Unfortunately,my bills aren't paid by the many "thanks" that I get from appreciative customers. I am loving my job but hating the ordinary nature of tasks. I do get a little excitement each day and I tend to find that in the simple things :)I can't think of a better way to spend my Friday night (hints of sarcasm intended)

Apart from work,I really don't have much of an active social life anymore since I don't know too many people here.I hope that all changes soon.I am gonna try to find accommodation closer to work then see how things go.

I am selling my blackberry after upgrading the Operating System Software to version 4.5 and installing new applications.I did however run into a few issues.I downloaded the software from the blackberry website and then followed the instructions on how to upgrade your blackberry pearl OS software.

I ran into a few glitches when I did so.I lost all my blackberry service books and it made it impossible to download new service books on Vodafone New Zealands network unless you are subscribed to BIS(Blackberry Internet Service) I was left hopeless,only able to use my Opera-mini which I installed through the blackberry application loader on my laptop. I scoured the internet for articles on how to restore service book entries with Vodafone New Zealand's network. I found something on VodafoneNZ website forum that is from a Tech here.Basically the Tech mentioned "that there was no manual way to install this" from his knowledge.This is NOT true,this is my fix for missing service book entries.I just went on to "options" and "Advanced" and "Host Routing Table" then pressed the BB or "options" key and selected "Register Now" The forum said that the only way to restore your service book settings was to sign up for an "On Account" plan or to insert a Vodafone On Account SIM and it will setup the service book entries.I just kept registering (repeating the above steps) until something gave...first time I did register,nothing happens.I was very persistent and about 1 day later.I got a message from "Activation Server" saying I have successfully registered my blackberry device.I am delighted since now I can even receive my own vodafonenz.app.blackberry.net address.

Sadly,I still need to sell it so I have listed it on trademe.I don't want to sell for anything less than what I know it is worth with all the configuration setup on a Prepay account.If I don't get buyers then I will just keep it since it is probably worth more to me than what other people are willing to offer.

I had a great week..how about you? :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the assistance Filipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NO!you've tracked me down..haha..you're more than welcome Wendy,it was a real pleasure!Enjoy your day.x

    ReplyDelete